Walkie Talkies have become a crucial part of our everyday life. Whether it’s in our homes, for business supervision, as a security tool, a safety measure during emergencies or as a means of keeping in touch during outdoor adventures, we need them every day.
While this is true, if you fail to choose the right walkie talkie, everything can go awry. The Retevis RT21 was released to the public in 2013 to serve as a solution to communication needs, especially in commercial settings.
If you run a restaurant, hotel, night club, warehouse, shopping mall, or even a school, this product promises to keep you and your team closer and ensure you get things done.
Retevis is also known for its responsive customer service and warranty package for unsatisfied customers. As a popular brand, Retevis has continued to dish out different models of walkie talkies for different purposes over the years.
This review probes the details, features and functionality of the product to see just how well it performs.
If you’re considering buying this product and you’re currently reading this review, you’re in luck, as we’ll tell you everything you need to know about the Retevis RT21. This will help you decide if you should go ahead with the purchase or consider another brand.
The Retevis RT21 combines simplicity, class and efficiency if we’re to go by the testimonies of verified users and our own experience. With 10 radios in the pack, this two-way radio product is rechargeable and is often prescribed for heavy-duty activities.
What’s more, it ranks very highly among portable walkie talkies on the market. The black exterior gives it a simple and serious look; a pointer that it is for adults and for serious business.
It is a pretty sturdy radio with multiple channels and considerable range for neighborhood use. It operates on the UHF band, giving it considerable penetration power through walls in buildings and other obstacles in the neighborhood.
A selling point is that the offer contains 10 packs, which can be used by 10 members of your team at a price that is largely unbeatable among its peers.
And if you have 20, 30 or 40 members of staff, you can simply get multiple packs.
Usually, walkie talkies of the same model and operating on the same system will usually connect more easily.
There are several features and added functionality to make this radio truly worth your while.
One thing you’ll note is the length of the antenna which the manufacturers say enhances its reach and signal quality.
This radio has a very long antenna, which is quite sturdy and won’t be damaged easily. This length also supports its range and signal quality.
When compared with other products within its category, the Retevis RT21 FRS walkie talkie has some pretty positive ratings that give it an edge over several competitors.
Specifications of Retevis RT21 Walkie Talkie
- Has a dimension of 20.67 x 3.15 x 7.8 inches
- Contains 10 walkie talkies in two boxes of 5 radios each.
- Comes in plain black color
- 3.7 volts
- Is effective in temperatures ranging from -20 degrees to 60 degrees Celsius
- Has access to 16 channels
- Weighs 400 grams
- Each radio comes with a covert, secret service earpiece, charging base and charger
Frequency Details of Retevis RT21 Walkie Talkie
The Retevis RT21 radio operates on the Family Radio Service (FRS) Frequency over the UHF band. This means it comes ready to use and requires no license from authorities.
The UHF band also means it can penetrate through walls easily. While the radios are properly programmed to connect to themselves, you may require reprogramming to connect to other FRS/GMRS radios.
Also, because all the channels are assigned the CTCSS or DTC squelch code, you’ll need to reprogram other radios without squelch codes before they can work with these.
Range of Retevis RT21 Walkie Talkie
The maximum range of the Retevis RT21 is 2.5 miles. This can be achieved in an open area, without obstacles.
Within buildings, underground and from valley to mountain, this range can reduce significantly to a range between 0.5 miles and 2.5 miles.
So, if you’re using this in a building with multiple walls, you should achieve a range of just around 1 mile.
While this might be great within controlled spaces, you’ll lose track if you take this beyond reasonable limits.
How Long will Retevis RT21 Walkie Talkie’s Battery Survive?
The two-way radio is powered by 1,100 mAh lithium-ion battery that is fully rechargeable within 3 to 4 hours. Battery life is up to 12 hours of talk time.
This large capacity li-ion battery is secured with an aluminum plate which can dissipate heat easily. This makes it long-lasting and durable; it can survive a drop up to 2 meters.
Accessories of Retevis RT21 Walkie Talkie
- Earpiece: The Retevis RT21 comes with a factory secret-service style earpiece that takes away the bulkiness of regular earpieces and gives you that class you desire. The earpiece is also discreet and has the capacity to prevent noise and distortion. The earpiece also has a mic for easy, hands-free communication.
- Charging Base: With this design, the radio cannot be connected directly to a charger. The battery is detached and plugged in separately. If you have spare batteries, this means you can go ahead with your work while you charge a battery.
- Belt Clip/Hand Strap: Depending on the kind of job you do; you may not be able to hold a walkie talkie as you move about. You need the hands-free advantage. This radio is equipped with both a belt clip and a hand strap, so you can easily fasten it on your waist, your chest area or on your arm.
Important Features of Retevis RT21 Walkie Talkie
1. Power-Saving Function
With a battery life already reaching 12 hours, the Retevis RT21 also has a battery-saving function which preserves battery power when the radio is not in use.
This can significantly increase talk time by several hours and reduce how often you recharge the battery.
2. Emergency Alarm
This is a great feature that every walkie talkie should have. Imagine you’re working construction and an accident occurs with no one close to you.
How do you call for help? You may also get trapped somewhere or be in some other kind of emergency. All you have to do is push the emergency button to alert other members of your team.
3. VOX Hands-free
The VOX hands-free function is another important feature that makes this radio very convenient for use.
In a restaurant, for instance, a waiter may not have the freedom to hold on to a talkie while he moves around with trays and dishes.
This function allows voice activation for calls and ensures smooth communication even without touching or holding the radio.
4. Noise Reduction
A restaurant is typically rowdy and noisy. This can impede on smooth communication if not addressed.
With the covert earpiece, audio is not dissipated, but targeted only at the ears, which enhances clarity and reduces distortion from surrounding noise.
Apart from this, it has a Squelch function that runs from levels 0 to 9 and helps to cancel out external noise.
5. 50 CTCSS 208 DCS
Walkie Talkies require protection against interruption. The Retevis RT21 has 16 channels through which it can communicate with other radios.
The Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System (CTCSS) ensures that this is done effectively and over discreet channels.
It prevents interference by other radio users which can disrupt your communication over two-way channels.
6. Portable Build
Portability is also very important when it comes to two-way radios. No one wants to drag a large radio around the place, because bulkiness can make you very uneasy and uncomfortable.
This walkie talkie can fit into your hands easily and is regarded as one of the most portable radios on the market.
7. Best Usage of Retevis RT21 Walkie Talkie
As an FRS Radio on the UHF band, this Retevis RT21 is suitable for indoor, commercial uses, including restaurants, hotels, malls, museums, factories, warehouses, departmental stores, church, event management, school and other retail or distribution purposes.
We don’t recommend this radio for very long-distance purposes like hiking, kayaking, or mountain climbing due to its limited range.
More so, this two-way, portable walkie talkie is suitable for neighborhood use and for family.
If you need to keep tabs on your kids or your aged parents who need constant care and attention, this can work. Such uses do not require very long-distance radios and this will do pretty well.
11 Reasons to Buy Retevis RT21 Walkie Talkie
We have seen for ourselves and listened to other users. Based on information gathered, you should consider buying this product for the following reasons;
- It is very portable and this makes mobility very easy, without the trouble of trying to conceal your radio.
- It has a flexible charging option that doesn’t stop you from using the radio even while you’re charging the battery. However, this requires a spare battery.
- It produces clear and clean audio signals, making communication very effective.
- Gives you flexibility to use the radio hands-free, due to its VOX feature, belt clip/hand strap and the amazing earpiece.
- The air acoustic earpiece makes it very convenient and comfortable to use.
- Easy to use and includes an English user manual.
- Includes a belt clip and a hand strap for easy transport from place to place.
- It is a budget package, with 10 radios at less than $180.
- Sturdy build quality and durability, including the battery area with shock-resistant properties.
- Has the capacity to block out chatter by other people on the frequency to prevent interruption.
- Low battery alert tells you when it’s time to recharge. This ensures you don’t get caught off-guard and get stranded.
4 Reasons Not to Buy Retevis RT21 Walkie Talkie
- This radio can do a lot better with range. If you want a super long-range radio, you may have to look elsewhere.
- You may want to resist the temptation of taking this out to the waters or exposing it to liquid. It’s not built to withstand it.
- If monitoring weather channels are important in your task or job, this radio won’t do you much good.
- For people who work at night with their talkies, this radio is not equipped to lighten up your path in dark places.
Our Rating of Retevis RT21 Walkie Talkie
- Long range walkie talkies; the RT21 walkie talkie is engineered for the best audio clarity, ease of use and durability available for dependable on-site communication; including construction; facility management, hospitality; manufacturing; retail; and warehousing
- Rugged two-way radios; built to last and withstand moisture; dust; vibrations; extreme temperatures and the rigors of everyday use; with a durable back clip and lanyard
- Easy to use 2-way radios; all RT21 walkie talkie has been set well could use directly when out of box; 50CTCSS 208DCS Keep you away from the irrelevant talking;ensure your team have a quiet and efficient communication
- Rechargeable business walkie talkies; 1100mAh battery provides up to 12 hours of use; more than enough for a standard work shift; each walkie talkie comes with a separate charging base; you can charge the batteries separately
- Walkie talkies with earpiece and mic set; 2 pin acoustic tube headset help you keep clear call in noisy environment; this version is certified and the FCC certified number is 2AAR8RETEVISRT21
- Portable frs two-way radios; compatible with H-777 H-777S RT15 RT17 RT18 RT19 RT22 RT27 RT28 RT68 all Retevis 16 channel FRS walkie-talkies
Before you make up your mind on a product for any purpose, ensure you do a comprehensive study. This applies to walkie talkies as well. we believe you’re now properly armed with the information you need to make a choice.
If what you want is a budget walkie-talkie for your indoor business- and one that helps your team stay in touch over secured channels and in a convenient manner- this does tick the box and will make a good addition to your gear.
However, if you want a truly long-range (over several miles) walkie talkie that is waterproof with access to emergency channels for outdoor adventures, you should look elsewhere.