There are so many reasons why people need walkie talkies. From camping, outdoor adventures, businesses, events and security to keeping in touch with family and friends, walkie talkies have become an important gear among many homes and organizations. They are affordable, easy to use and very reliable for communication even in remote locations.
When it comes to Walkie Talkies, Motorola is a top brand. With several models, lines and releases, it is often difficult to make a choice, even within the brand, let alone when placed among other brands.
However, the best way to make a choice is to be informed. With this post, we’ll bring you everything you need to know about the Motorola TalkAbout T600.
From its appearance and design quality to its functionality and efficiency, this post was put together to help you decide if this is the walkie talkie you should buy or if you need to keep looking. Remember, the choice is yours to make and whatever you decide will determine if you’ll get value for your investment or brood every single time you use your radio.
The first thing that strikes you about the Motorola TalkAbout T600 is the very vibrant lemon green color.
This is beautifully complemented by the base black, and makes it an attractive radio to look at.
Designed for children and adults, the radio is regarded as a functional piece useful for indoor and outdoor purposes, with extra features and accessories for user support.
Some things to note are its 22 channels through which users can communicate securely, the built-in flashlight which can aid night-time activities or movement in the dark, and the IP67 rating for its waterproof capability.
The range of the product is also very impressive, especially in open areas.
Considering the reputation of Motorola, this is actually an affordable set of radios. This radio is popular among people who engage in fishing on boats or other boating adventures, hiking, snowboarding and other snow sports, and so on.
The reason it can be used comfortably in wet situations or on water is tied to its H20 properties. Not only can it float on water, the flashlight is activated by water as well, so users usually don’t have anything to worry about.
Specifications of Motorola TalkAbout T600 Walkie Talkie
- 22 Preset channels
- 121 Privacy codes at 2,662 combinations.
- Weighs 0.54 pounds
- 2 radios in the package
- Has a dimension of 7.78 x 2.4 x 1.5 inches
- Bright green exterior color
- Belt clip attached behind
- Clear display
- Red and White LED built-in flashlight at the base
- Non-detachable antenna.
At what frequencies Motorola TalkAbout T600 Walkie Talkie work?
When it comes to frequency, most brands go with either Family Radio Service (FRS) or General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS).
However, it is always better to have a blend of both because it becomes easier to connect with radios on both frequencies.
The Motorola T600 is an FRS/GMRS radio with 22 channels across both frequencies and each having 121 privacy codes.
This walkie talkie operates on the UHF band, which makes it possible to penetrate obstructions.
Range of Motorola TalkAbout T600 Walkie Talkie
The Motorola TalkAbout T600 packs a good deal of power and up to 35 miles in range. This is a very competitive feature among the TalkAbout series and within the general walkie talkie industry.
This range can be achieved in open water, an open neighborhood and from mountain to valley. However, it is important to note that this range can be affected significantly by obstructions, impediments and bad terrains.
How long can Motorola TalkAbout T600 Walkie Talkie Battery Survives?
Powered by the NiMH rechargeable batteries, this walkie talkie can keep going for as long as 12 hours. This battery life can be enhanced to about 23 hours by using the optional 3 AAA alkaline batteries.
This also makes it convenient as it is often difficult to charge up batteries during outdoor adventures. With this option, a user can switch from the NiMH rechargeable to the replaceable AAA batteries whenever.
Accessories that come with Motorola TalkAbout T600 Walkie Talkie
To improve the functionality of the Motorola T600, the manufacturers included accessories such as;
- Whistle Belt Clips: This helps to fasten your radio in place when you’re on the move or need your hands for other activities. The belt clip is sturdy enough and won’t break or give in to the weight of the radio. What’s more, it enables you carry out hands-free communication.
- AAA Alkaline Batteries: This was included to improve talk time by as much as 100 percent. While the regular NiMH battery will give you about 9 hours, this optional replaceable accessory packs as much as 23 hours of talk time. It is a great way to keep you going and avoid situations where you get stranded due to low batteries.
- Charging Adapter: The “Y” cable charging cable adapter on the PSU has dual micro-USB connectors. This allows for easy compatibility with most sockets and is also easily replaceable. The prevalence of USB interfaces over other options is a great advantage here as well.
- Compatible headsets: Although not included in the package, the Motorola 1518 Surveillance headset is a compatible accessory you can shop for and enjoy seamless, unperturbed hands-free communication with your team.
Important Features of Motorola TalkAbout T600 Walkie Talkie
1. IP67 Waterproof/Float Design
This is a top-rated waterproof standard achieved by Motorola with this product. The waterproof feature is extremely important for walkie talkies used on water or snow, or general adventures in the wild.
For some, you may need to dive in to retrieve your radio. But for talkies like this T600, the ability to float means the talkie will come to the surface of the water and all you need to do is pick it up. There will be no damage, especially if it is taken out early enough.
What’s more, this built-in flashlight can also be water-activated, and this is a great advantage.
2. LED Flashlight
The amazing thing about this flashlight is that it comes in both red and white LEDs, so you can choose whichever fits the situation. For night-time activities, the white LED will help to lighten up your path and area.
During emergencies and power cuts, this can come in really handy and keep you at the top of your game. And if the radio drops in water, even in the dark, the flashlight is automatically triggered and this can help you find it.
3. Weather Channels
We cannot emphasize how important it is to always set out prepared for uncertainties; and this includes changing weather. Having weather channels on your walkie talkie can make all the difference.
This Motorola TalkAbout T600 has access to 11 weather channels, including 7 NOAA channels. What this means is that you’ll get updates on weather conditions per time. You’ll also get alerts of impending bad weather, to help you make decisions.
4. Emergency Alert Button
It can be dangerous during adventures like boating, hiking or even in snow sports. It is possible for one to go off trail, get lost, be attacked by a wild animal or even encounter a natural disaster like an avalanche or a windstorm.
If you or any member of your team ever find yourselves in such a situation, it is important you have a talkie with an emergency button, so that you can reach out or be alerted.
5. Push-to-Talk (PTT)
The PTT is not just a power boost, but can support easy, one-push conversations. It also enhances the ease of use of the radio.
6. Dual Power Option
The radio gives users the option of using either a rechargeable NiMH battery or AAA Alkaline batteries. If you’re indoors or within the neighborhood or camping with a power generator, you may use the rechargeable battery.
But if you do not have access to a power source, and you intend to spend more than 9 hours on your trip/adventure, it is wiser to go with the AAA batteries that can easily be replaced.
7. Impressive Coverage
This is one of the most impressive qualities of the Motorola T600. At 35 miles, long distance is not exactly an obstacle, as long as you’re in an open area without much impediments like walls, trees and other structures or objects.
What is the best usage of Motorola TalkAbout T600 Walkie Talkie?
As a result of its incredible range, rugged design and safety features, this Motorola T600 radio is best suited for outdoor adventures, especially those that involve water.
The floatability and water-resistant properties, as well as its ability to send and receive emergency signals make it a considerable option for adventures like fishing, snow sports, boating and hiking, among others.
This doesn’t mean you can’t deploy this radio for neighborhood or indoor activities, but you’ll be denying it its full potentials and capabilities.
9 Reasons to Buy Motorola TalkAbout T600 Walkie Talkie
- It has an incredible range up to 35 miles in open water or neighborhood.
- It is quite affordable and can be purchased on a budget.
- It is waterproof and can float on water, so you don’t have to worry about damage due to water. It can also be easily retrieved when it falls into water, even in the dark.
- It is ideal for all manner of outdoor activities and adventures.
- The radio is compatible with most FRS and GMRS radios.
- Great battery life, especially with the optional AAA Alkaline batteries.
- Comes with red and white LED flashlight, which can also be activated in water.
- Great features, including weather channels and alert as well as keypad lock to protect your personal settings.
- Comes with 22 FRS and GMRS channels to connect with other users.
3 Reasons Not to Buy Motorola TalkAbout T600 Walkie Talkie
- If you won’t be using this radio in open areas, it may not perform as much because range might drop significantly in areas with buildings and obstructions.
- Accessories like earpieces will have to be bought separately.
- If you desire Bluetooth connectivity, you may need to consider a higher model like the T800.
Our Rating of Motorola TalkAbout T600 Walkie Talkie
- Ip67 Waterproof: Count On The T600 H2O Two-Way Waterproof Radio To Keep You Connected Whether On Land Or At Sea. With Its Ip67 Standard, The T600 H2O Withstands Constant Submersion Of Up To 1M For 30 Minutes And Repels The Heaviest Rain.
- Advanced Built-In Flashlight With White And Red Leds: Select The White Led Setting On The Built-In Flashlight To Light Your Way During Evening Activities, Unexpected Emergencies Or Power Outages.
- Know The Weather In Advance: Keep Updated With Real-Time Weather Conditions By Turning On One Of 11 Weather Channels Or Initiating Weather Alerts. Noaa Radio Service May Not Be Available In All Areas.
- 22 Channels Each With 121 Privacy Codes: With 22 Channels And 121 Privacy Codes, Totaling 2,662 Combinations, It’S Easy To Find An Available Channel.
Our verdict is that this is another truly functional walkie talkie from the Motorola TalkAbout series. Its biggest selling point is the ability to light up and float when it drops in water. If this doesn’t get the attention of boating enthusiasts, kayakers, fishermen or even mariners, we truly don’t know what else can. You can get your sense of adventure back on and bet on a radio that is designed just for you. And if cost is a big deal for you, then, this product is truly affordable if you want to give it a try.